Camp Allen honors God and enriches lives by being a year round gathering place for all ages, offering Christian hospitality amidst 1,100 forested acres and striving for excellence in facilities, service, and programs.
Camp Allen was founded in the summer of 1921 at Sylvan Bay, Texas. The camp was the inspiration of then Bishop Coadjutor of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas, The Right Reverend Clinton S. Quin. Bishop Quin observed that little was being done for the youth of the diocese, and his conception of the camp was a way to begin remedying that situation. Rosa Lum Allen, a prominent Houstonian and member of Christ Church Cathedral, embraced Bishop Quin’s idea, and offered the use of her spacious summer estate on the Gulf of Mexico at Sylvan Beach. Thirty-six young persons from Houston, Austin, Galveston, Dallas, and Tyler attended the first sessions in 1921.
By 1925, the program had outgrown the Sylvan Bay facility, and the Allen family again stepped forward, giving the diocese a 35-acre tract on Trinity Bay. This site served as home for Camp Allen until 1968, and provided camping experiences for more than 10,000 campers. However, industrial development during the 1960’s made the area less and less desirable for a camp location, and in 1968 the facility was sold.
Proceeds from the sale of the Trinity Bay site made possible the purchase of 700 acres of pine and hardwood forest amidst the rolling hills of Grimes County, near Navasota, Texas. In 1972, construction began on the present Camp Allen, with tent camping filling the space between 1968 and 1973 when the initial construction was completed.
The first two campsites, with their large covered wood decks and unique tree house cabins, were an immediate hit. Camp sessions filled quickly, and by 1976, Camp Allen was serving over 800 young persons per summer. The addition of a third campsite, sports pavilion, and expanded conference center occurred in 1984. As a year-round center, Camp Allen presently serves over 12,000 youth per year between summer camp and the school based outdoor education program.
A major construction project was completed in 1999 to vastly increase the conference center and camp facilities, and to build a 76-acre lake, equestrian center and 7 log cabins. Now exceeding 1000 acres in size, and serving a total of some 50,000 people per year, Camp Allen is a leader in the Camp, Conference, and Retreat Center ministry.
George Dehan, President
Gloria Clepper, Director of Operations
Shaun Holmes, Maintenance Manager
Candy Moore, Director of Programs
Drew Day, Summer Camp Director
Toni Christopher, Director of Marketing and Development
Board of TrusteesThe Rt. Reverend C. Andrew Doyle, Chairman
The Reverend Lacy Largent, Secretary
Mandy Neal (St. Timothy’s, Lake Jackson), Executive Chair
Peter Boyd (Christ Church, Tyler)
The Rev. Miles Brandon (St. Julian of Norwich, Austin)
John Carr (Christ Church, Tyler)
George Dehan (St. Martin’s, Houston)
Joan Dunlap (St. Martin’s, Houston)
Jan Faber (St. Andrew’s, Bryan)
Bill Frazer (St. Martin’s, Houston)
Mary Gregory (Christ Church, Houston)
Greg Hambrick (Palmer, Houston)
Charlotte Jones (Christ Church Cathedral, Houston)
Lee Leaman (St. Mark’s, Richmond)
Ellen Mallay (St. John the Divine, Houston)
Gaines Matthews (St. Martin’s, Houston)
Sheila Mayfield (St. Martin’s, Houston)
The Reverend Patrick Miller (St. Mark’s, Bellaire)
Rob Rowland (Christ Church Cathedral, Houston)
Jane Stone (Good Shepherd, Austin)
Brent Stokes (Trinity, The Woodlands)
Ford Taylor (St. Paul’s, Waco)
Julia Case (Christ Church, Eagle Lake)
Kelli Gillespie (Good Shepherd, Kingwood)
Eric Moen (St. Martin’s, Houston)